There are an extensive range of reasons why you could be entering into the process of buying and/or selling a property and each one will come with its own set of challenges and procedures. Therefore it is especially important that you instruct the help of a trusted and experienced conveyancing solicitor to give your transaction the greatest chance of a smooth success.
There is a stigma that buying and selling property is extremely stressful and costly but it really does not have to be that way. In the hands of an experienced solicitor there will be no unnecessary or prolonged stages in the process, resulting in no superfluous costings being incurred. We have experience in dealing with new builds, farming and agricultural land and property, homes abroad, buy to let and everything in between.
At Pengelly & Rylands we have a strong and competent team of experienced conveyancing lawyers who can guide you through the buying and selling process.
To assist buyers they can:
- check that the seller is entitled to sell and that they own everything being offered for sale;
- check whether anyone other than the seller is living at the property and if so get their agreement to leave as soon as the sale proceeds;
- carry out searches to check for potential problems, such as a history of flooding or subsidence, breach of planning rules or plans to build a major road nearby;
- check that your financial arrangements are in order, including any mortgage you may be reliant on;
- set a timetable for completion which ensures any related sales or purchases linked to your transaction all complete on the same date;
- prepare the property transfer papers;
- advise you on the costs and expenses you will need to pay, including stamp duty land tax if applicable; and
- register your ownership of the property with the Land Registry once the purchase completes.
To assist sellers they can:
- obtain the evidence needed to prove your entitlement to sell and that you own the property and any land around it;
- where such evidence cannot be obtained, for example because you have no legal documents proving your ownership, advise on the likelihood of you being able to apply to the Land Registry for recognition of your ownership rights based on the length of time you have occupied the property;
- deal with any other queries raised as a result of the buyer’s searches;
- advise you on your options if the buyer seeks a price reduction because of an unexpected problem;
- ensure the transfer papers are in order;
- complete the transfer and settle any outstanding mortgage; and
- advise you on the costs and expenses you will need to pay, including capital gains tax if selling a second home or investment property.
Advising individuals throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Tenterden, Maidstone, Gravesend and Chatham where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings at your home if necessary, and in exceptional circumstances a telephone appointment can be arranged via skype.
The cost of buying or selling a property will vary depending on your circumstances. We are happy to provide a quotation after discussing your requirements.
Get in touch
Call us on 01580 762248 if you need our help. Alternatively complete our Contact Us form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.