Divorce is an unsettling, emotional and very confusing time for all parties involved, it can be a total life upheaval if a sudden process, or a form of closure at the end of what may be a long road. Never the less, strong, accurate and dependable legal advice is key to exiting the process with the best outcomes achieved for all involved, regardless of fault and blame.
First and foremost, the grounds for divorce will have to be claimed, agreed and verified. The grounds for divorce can be laid out against one of the five legally recognised reasons once your marriage has been verified as being legally binding for a minimum of one consecutive year.
The five cases for a divorce petition are as follows: Either you or your spouse has been unfaithful, behaved unreasonably, desertion, have lived apart for more than two years and both want a divorce or have been living apart for at least five years with no intention to reconcile.
At Pengelly & Rylands our divorce specialists will:
- check that you are eligible to apply for a divorce and advise you on how to obtain a legal separation should the eligibility criteria not be met;
- complete all necessary paperwork;
- work to reach a suitable arrangement between you both where there are children to be considered, for example custody and financial provisions.
- help you to apply for a parental responsibility order where you have no legal rights in respect of a child you have cared for;
- help you to sort out financial matters and to resolve property disputes;
- advise you on making a will or updating an existing will in which your spouse may be mentioned;
- liaise with pension providers when there are issues around entitlement to split pension benefits;
- represent your interest should any aspect of your divorce result in a hearing before the courts.
We also have devoted support pathways available should you or your dependents have been victims to the suffering of any sort of domestic abuse be it physical or mental which we can talk through with you if appropriate.
Advising families throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Tenterden, Maidstone, Gravesend and Chatham where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings by Skype for clients who have to travel extensively or who now live abroad. In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed cost initial appointment
We offer an initial appointment to discuss your requirements from £95 plus VAT.
Get in touch
Call us on 01580 762248 if you are looking for advice regarding a divorce, or alternatively use our Contact Us form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.