Shared Ownership schemes are an excellent way to step on to the property ladder if you can’t quite obtain a full mortgage. Usually but not exclusively a scheme run by housing associations, shared ownership allows you to own a percentage of the property in accordance to the level of mortgage you can secure, and pay a reduced rental fee on the remaining amount.
Typically you can buy between 25% and 75% of the property you choose, and then increase your level of ownership over time with the aim to eventually reach 100% which then means the property is entirely yours. All the normal criteria checks will be carried out as they would be if you were trying for a 100% ownership from the start which your solicitor can help you with. Please also bear in mind that the standard costs for purchasing a home will be solely your responsibility even though you will only own a portion of the property. Again, your conveyancing solicitor will be able to advise you of these along the way.
Buying through a shared ownership scheme requires specialist legal advice. At Pengelly & Rylands we have a team of conveyancing lawyers trained to offer just this.
Drawing on many years of experience dealing with shared ownership, they can:
- explain how the shared ownership scheme relevant to you operates, including the terms of any lease you will be required to sign;
- explain the terms of your mortgage offer;
- ensure you understand the financial commitments involved in proceeding;
- assess whether stamp duty land tax will be payable on your purchase;
- discuss your options where stamp duty land tax will be payable, including ways to keep your tax bill as low as possible if you plan to increase your share;
- register your interest in the property with the Land Registry;
- help you acquire a further share in the property where this is possible; and
- assist you in selling your share in the property.
We can also provide advice on other schemes designed to help get you on the property ladder, including Help to Buy Equity Loans for new build homes and the Help to Buy Mortgage Guarantee for older properties.
Advising individuals throughout Kent and beyond
We have offices in Tenterden, Maidstone, Gravesend and Chatham where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings at your home if necessary, and in exceptional circumstances a telephone appointment can be arranged via skype.
The cost of buying a property through a shared ownership scheme will vary depending on your circumstances. We are happy to provide a quotation after discussing your requirements.
Get in touch
Call us on 01580 762248 if you need our help. Alternatively you can complete our Contact Us Form and we will be in touch as soon as possible.