Once a loved one has passed away there can be a great deal to deal with both personally and legally. Ideally there will have been a will created which will outline the wishes of the departed, inclusive of which will be who they have appointed to execute the requests within the will. It is this person that can apply for probate. If there is no will then the rules of intestacy will apply, which your solicitor can go through with you.
The actual application process for a grant of probate is not overly complicated but it is imperative that all details are completed with meticulous accuracy as even the smallest error can cause great delays. Similarly there may be areas which you are uncertain about or have queries on, which only a trained professional can assist with. With all this in mind it is always advisable to seek the assistance of a private client solicitor specially trained in wills and probate services.
At Pengelly & Rylands solicitors in Tenterden we have a team of probate lawyers within our Private Client departments who can assist with the probate process. Working alongside you, they can:
- advise you on whether a grant of probate is required;
- complete and lodge the application on your behalf;
- deal with any queries that are raised by the Probate Registry;
- lodge a notice preventing a grant of probate being issued until any disagreements have been resolved;
- ensure any inheritance tax is paid or deferred;
- help administer your loved one’s estate after the grant has been made to ensure all liabilities are settled and everyone receives their inheritance; and
- advise on circumstances where it might be appropriate to vary the will or the rules of intestacy to make provision for other relatives or to save tax.
Advising families throughout Tenterden, Kent and beyond
We have offices in Tenterden, Chatham, Tonbridge, Gravesend and Maidstone where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings at your home, in hospital or in a care facility, and in exceptional circumstances a telephone appointment can be arranged via skype.
How much does it cost?
An initial appointment to discuss your requirements can be arranged from £150 plus VAT. After that we can agree funding arrangements to suit your budget.