Civil Partnerships can sadly come to an end, but the process to make your way through this time legally need not be as stressful as you may believe. Our family law team have expert professionals highly skilled in negotiating the way through a civil partnership dissolution with you, encompassing all aspects where necessary including children, property, assets, financial logistics and everything else that may need resolving.
Exactly the same as a divorce, initial checks will need to be undergone to verify your relationship meets the criteria for dissolution. You will need to have been legally recognised as being officially within a civil partnership for a minimum of one year and that you have decided to separate under one of the five accepted categories. These are adultery, unreasonable behaviour, desertion, living apart for more than two years and both parties agree to dissolution, or living apart for more than five years with no intention to reconcile.
Pengelly & Rylands have an exceptionally experienced family law team who will:
- check that you are eligible to apply for a dissolution and advise you on how to obtain a legal separation where the eligibility criteria are not met;
- complete the necessary paperwork;
- support you in making suitable arrangements and in resolving disputes about children;
- help you to apply for a parental responsibility in respect of a child you have cared for;
- help you to sort out financial matters and to resolve property disputes;
- advise you on making a will or updating an existing will;
- liaise with pension providers when required to split pension benefits;
- explain the options available to help you reach an amicable agreement, including family mediation or collaborative law; and
- vigorously represent your interest if any aspect of your dissolution ends up before the courts.
We can also help with any issues concerning domestic violence or abuse, however please be aware that in these unfortunate cases the option of mediation will not be appropriate.
Advising families throughout Tenterden, Kent and beyond
We have offices in Tenterden, Maidstone, Tonbridge, Chatham and Gravesend where we can meet you to discuss your requirements.
We can also offer meetings by skype for clients who have to travel extensively or who now live abroad. In exceptional circumstances, home visits can also be arranged.
Fixed cost initial appointment
We offer an initial appointment to discuss your requirements from £100 plus VAT.